1.12.04

The outsourcing of torture...

Steve Clemons of The Washington Note has an interesting post about our government grabbing suspects from various locals worldwide and then dropping them off to be interrogated in countries that use torture as an extractive technique. This obviously brings up a whole host of ethical questions. I, for one, view torture as a slippery slope; if we agree to use it in some circumstances, I believe that we will expand its use over time. Of course that's easy for me to say sitting here where no one is shooting at me, I wonder if our friend Theron has something to say about this matter...

1 Comments:

Blogger Theron Ballard said...

Oh, yeah torture is all fun and games, until its used on US soldiers then its unfair. What I've learned most importantly is that the media is simply not to be trusted!! They have more than once distorted facts to suit their purposes here. They focus on the negative impacts of what going on, to sell papers and airtime. With a dollar sign attached to whatever they say, they will say anything.

I see how US soldiers interrogate where I work, and the SOBs are treated with more dignity and respect that they deserve. Strict no touching, unless helping to avoid obstacles while blind folded, policies are observed, for fear of the soldier being prosecuted more harshly than the lousy criminals. The biggest kicker is that the legal sytem in Iraq is so over loaded that most of the walking flea bags are turned loose.

Hell, we have to pay them five dollars for everyday we hold them, and many are repeat minor offenders simply to get paid.

What the CIA and the Army do are worlds apart, do I condone torture NO, in no uncertain terms. We have a working judicial system, Iraqis dont, so you tell me who gets punished more harshly. Think about that before stones are thrown.

December 3, 2004 at 7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home